6.04.2005

Gazing at Apple Jacks

Enough already with sickness and plague and the guy dressed in black carrying the scythe waiting outside my bedroom door. My internal clock is ALL messed up now. I've been complaining of insomnia for a while (here and here, in case you're interested) but this is different. I'm not suffering insomnia tonight. Nope. Since I spent most of the day resting and sleeping, now it's time to get up.

Shuffled downstairs to put a load of clothes in the washer, figuring that would wear me out enough so I could go back to bed. Didn't work. So I paid the bills, which are all late because I was already sick enough without adding that to the mix. That didn't tire me out either. I've been perpendicular for almost an hour now and haven't keeled over from exhaustion. Perhaps I'm on the mend. If so, that's really unfair. WHY couldn't the mending have waited until morning so that my days and nights wouldn't be backward?

Oh, and the husband returned from his errand of mercy and brought back a few things I didn't ask for. I have always had a fondness for Apple Jacks. Brings back memories of happy days when my mom would take my sister and me to the store to let us pick out a favorite cereal. She usually bought the icky healthy stuff...like Cherrios (this was waaay back when there was only one kind of Cherrios - called Blehgh!), or shredded wheat - not even the kind with that white cement on top. My sister would choose those Pops things, or Trix, and I always wanted Apple Jacks. The husband actually remembered. What a sweet guy!

Of course, since I'm sick and avoiding milk, I can't have any. But, I did open the box and gaze at them. Did you know they changed the color? Apple Jacks used to be a sort of pale pinkish beige with pinkish red dot things on them. Now some are beige-ish, and some are greenish. What the heck is THAT about? Are the green ones supposed to be Granny Smiths or something? I'll report back when I finally get a chance to try them.

Unfortunately, the sweet guy who brought home the Apple Jacks didn't stay sweet for long. Because, you see, shortly after coming back from the store, he came down with a bad case of the sniffles. He blames me, of course.

No comments: