6.14.2005

The Daughter Shines Today

So, the daughter decided she was going to take full advantage of her day off from work and relax by the pool today. When I left this morning, she was gathering all the necessary items. Swim suit - or, well, at least the spider-web thin strings with the postage stamp sized tags of cloth that passes for her swim suit - towel, flip-flops, sunglasses, hair scrunchy, glass of ice water, raft, car in the yard with doors open and windows down - for music, of course. All set to go.

Um. What was that? I didn't mention - ? Ohhhh, riiight...sun screen. Yeah, that.

She said, oh guru that she is, "I need to be out there by 10:30 or else I just won't get a thing." uh-huh. right. I asked how long she was planning to bake. Shoulder shrug, "Not long." I drove off, with a wave and a smile and the never to be followed motherly advice of "be careful."

Fast forward to the end of the day. I'm almost ready to leave work. The daughter calls. She sounds - well - breathless. She asks if I will please stop at the store and bring home, some, - aloe gel. Ask I, "How long were you out?" She replied, "Umm. Too long?"

I stop at the store and pick up the aloe - the kind with Lidocaine added. She really DID sound funny on the phone.

I believe she'll survive. Right now though, she's not so certain about that. She is supposed to be seeing her beau this weekend (one of those long-distance things) - and now is tormented by the scary possibility that she will be in the oh so attractive molting stage by then. I think she'll also survive that. Again, she's not so sure.

But, listen up folks. All joking (at the daughter's expense) aside...

It is SUMMER. The sun is powerful. Burns are not healthy. If you insist on wearing cobwebs and postage stamps, at least SLATHER on that SUNCREEN! Often. The mother has spoken. You would do well to heed.

And, now I'm off - to go spread more pain-numbing Lidocaine on the daughter's back.

No comments: