4.27.2005

Women in the Catholic Church

While catching up on my Corner reading, I came across a Sunday post by K-Lo that points to this piece by Pia de Solenni in the Washington Post. Here's just a little bit:
So where do I fit into the picture as a woman? Unfortunately, the discussion has centered on priesthood for so long that we've only recently begun to explore what is unique to women. For Catholics, the most perfect human being was a woman -- Mary, the mother of God. Scripture makes clear that she understood more than anyone and that she had an essential role in the redemption of humanity. It depended on her "Yes," her willingness and capacity to become Jesus's mother, a role that did not end with his birth.

Benedict XVI won't change the church's positions on women's ordination, birth control or abortion. He can't change what flows from the core teachings of the Catholic faith. But under his leadership we can expect to have an extensive continuation of the conversations necessary for understanding these teachings.
It is a lovely piece and, knowing my limitations, I will not attempt to comment on the article. However, I would absolutely LOVE to read what the Anchoress may have to say about it (if she is so inclined, of course) when she returns. She is so much more articulate than I, and this would be right up her alley.

No comments: