4.13.2005

Day Off Blathering

It was lovely having a day off in the middle of the week. I stayed up way late last night, downloading all sorts of new tools and gadgets to try on my PC - some of which are purported to help me blog, and others I just wanted because they seemed pretty interesting. And, oh yeah - and I bought a new (refurbished) PC from Dell. I won't tell you what model, because then you might feel compelled to tell me I probably got hosed in the deal. But, whatever - it's definitely better than this decrepit old thing I'm using right now. The daughter is going to get this one when the new one arrives, and the husband and I are going to get to fight over the new one. Or, we'll get to do that once it has a monitor to go with it, anyway.

So, I stayed up late doing all sorts of geeky stuff and then, because I had the day off, I slept in really late. When I finally got up, I puttered around, not doing much of anything. And, because I really don't know what to do with myself when I'm not at work (even though there are piles of laundry to fold and put away, and litter boxes to clean, and dishes to wash, and a quarter-of-the-way crocheted afghan I'll be working on till I'm 90), I spent a little bit of time checking voice mail from work, making a couple of calls, and checking and replying to my work e-mail. And, then, around about ohhh, 2:00 this afternoon, I finally got around to doing some work on a chair I'm reupholstering for a friend from work. A chair that was supposed to finished and delivered TODAY!

I suck. I've had this chair in my house for, I swear, 8 months. Now - in all fairness to Me, my friend didn't get the new fabric to me until after I'd had the chair in my house for almost 2 months. And then, the custom foam that I ordered for it was messed up and had to be re-ordered. But still - this chair is not the size of a house and it should have, and could have, been finished 5 months ago. I think I might have mentioned something in an earlier post about my weeeee little problem with procrastination. But, I don't feel like linking to it right now. Maybe later.

Anyway, I ran into my friend last week and told him his chair was nearly finished and that I would bring it to him today. I had every intention of getting it finished. Really I did. But, then the weekend was soooo busy. And then Monday happened. And Tuesday, too. And instead of finishing up the work on the chair, I played geek on the computer, slept in, and puttered. I still haven't called the guy whose chair is now being held hostage in my home. I might not be able to call him "friend" much longer. He's going to think I destroyed his chair and am, even now, frantically searching for a replica.

But, I have managed to buy myself some time. Because he won't be back in the office until Monday. Which, of course, is why I'm sitting here blogging. Instead of working on the frigging chair. Did I mention I have a problem with procrastination?

No comments: