4.12.2005

Ignorant Bliss and Little Guy

It’s late. The family is all tucked in and I finally have a few minutes to catch up on what’s going on in the world after my whirlwind of a weekend…and yet I can’t bring myself to do that just now. I don’t know about you, but sometimes I feel a need to enjoy a tiny little pocket of time in which to be blissfully ignorant. I haven’t read a newspaper or watched television since Friday night. What little radio I’ve listened to has dealt mostly with garden planting tips and weather forecasts.

The husband and I went to our nephew’s baptism this weekend, and though it was a quick road-trip there – arriving just in time for the service - with very little time for visiting after the baptism before we had to head back home, I’m still reveling in the afterglow of spending even a little bit of time with our extended family. It’s actually my husband’s family, but since both my parents have passed away, my in-laws are now the only parents I have - and my siblings-in-law are as dear to me as my own sister is.

The baptism was lovely and everyone in the congregation joined in welcoming the little guy into the family of Christ. Little Guy seemed fascinated by all the goings on and took the entire strange proceeding in stride. Although, at the end, he did toss a questioning look at the priest as if to say, “Hey, whadja go and do THAT for?”

Little Guy is 8 months old and just as cute and sweet as they come. He came into the family when he was two weeks old through the amazing and wonderful blessing of adoption, and he couldn’t be more loved, wanted, cherished, and adored. Everyone in the entire family has photos of him on their cell phones, PCs, refrigerator doors, stuck on their car visors, and tucked lovingly in wallets. Even now, the thought that this baby’s biological mom seriously considered abortion sends shivers through me. We might NOT have had the opportunity to love him and watch him grow. He might never have lived…and it came pretty close to that. I just can’t even bear thinking about it. It’s too terrifying. And besides that, it DIDN’T happen, she DIDN’T do it, and he IS here now. And he is so loved. The adoption is not totally final and won’t be for another few months. I can only imagine the celebration that will take place that day.

And now, I will continue on my way to bed, still safely, blissfully ignorant of all the pressing problems of the world. I know they will, unfortunately, all still be here tomorrow. Plenty of time to catch up.

No comments: