4.19.2005

Hurtful Words

Damn. Damn. Damn.

Earlier today, or I guess it would be yesterday now, I lost my temper and gave in to the urge to blurt some rather hurtful, biting comments to someone I love. Immediately regretted it, of course, but the damage was done and, as we all know, there is no way to unsay words once they are spoken.

My daughter was the unfortunate recipient of my totally unwarranted screed and she didn't deserve such an onslaught of unhelpful blather from me. Like I mentioned a while back, she's approaching the wise old age of 20, but today I treated her like she was 16. To her credit, and my shame, she responded to my verbal attack like the poised, well-grounded, sensible young woman that she is. But, she was hurt, deeply, none the less.

Obviously, this is not the first time in her life I've lost my temper and said things for which I had to apologise later - only the most recent. And it's weighing heavy on me tonight. Apologies have been offered and tentatively accepted, but the air between us tonight as she headed off to sleep was still thick with her hurt feelings and sense of betrayal.

Damn. Damn. Damn.

Nothing else to say.

No comments: