5.24.2005

Just More Blather

Wow. That took a LOT of ice cream! But, I'm back. At least for a bit.

My schedule is way crazy right now. Trying to start winding up loose ends at work so I can leave with a good conscience at the end of July, while at the same time still taking on new cases - which, of course, will wind up doing nothing more than creating even more loose ends that I'll be sorting out at the last minute. It's nuts I tell you! But, I'm not the one in charge, and if the bosses say I have to keep taking new clients, then I have to keep taking new clients. What's my job, you ask? Well, I sort of work for the courts, meet with the folks in trouble, and write an awful lot of reports. Cryptic, I know. Sorry. And, of course, while I'm getting ready for a big shift on the job-front, I'm also trying really, really hard to curb my obsession with taking on more projects than I (or the husband) can handle. Anyway, that's the reason I may not be writing as much here as I would like. But, I'm sure all both of my readers will understand.

So, while consuming large amounts of chocolate chip ice cream and then moving on to Moose Tracks (I was THAT het up!), I spent some time researching defamation - libel and slander. I was truly hoping there would be SOMEthing Ms. Foley could be charged with. But, it appears there's nothing, in the legal sense, that she could be hit upside the career with. Others more well-versed in Constitutional law as regarding the 1st Amendment, however, may still find something. I certainly couldn't. Darn it. But, I think I know part of the reason she was so quick to point out that she didn't say "troops." It's just a stretchy guess, but maybe it has something to do with a thing called colloquium . In a tiny nutshell:
colloquium (circumstances of utterance showing that the statement was directed against him or her specifically).....The requirement of colloquium makes unactionable defamation of a large group, e.g., a racial or professional group.
I haven't kept up with the news in the last couple of days, but I'm betting Ms. Foley hasn't been raked over the coals - not even gently basted - by the MSM.

Egads! Look at the time. Sorry to end so ubruptly. Must go to sleep. More later.

Goodnight, Gentle Reader...whichever one you are.

UPDATED at 12:53 P.M. 5/24/05: Heh - heh. "Ubruptly." Looks like I was already asleep. And, although a very proud part of me wants to go in and correct the post, I have decided to be honest and let it hang out there for all the world to see. Serve as a reminder to myself that I'm really not "all that." Happy Tuesday, Everyone.

No comments: