5.07.2005

Blathering About Me

Did I happen to mention I was recently accepted into grad school? Well, I was. Not that anyone else really cares. But I'm going to toot my own horn anyway. Because, it is after all, all about me.

Yep - going back to school. The daughter just finished her 2nd semester of undergrad stuff and I was so jealous I just had to join her. I absolutely love school. If I could ever figure out a way to actually earn money just going to school, I believe I'd do it for the rest of my life - or at least until I retire. And, I don't mean "earning money" as in "loans that I will eventually have to pay back." I mean, if someone would actually PAY me 30K a year (min.) to go to school, I'd do it. Piece of cake. I'd even sign a contract agreeing to earn nothing lower than a B in any class. Ah, well. I can dream, can't I?

But, I'm going back. For two years anyway. Since it's a full time program we're going to lose my income when school starts in August. In the interest of cutting as many expenses as possible, we recently got rid of satellite for the TV. Did I happen to mention we live in the hinterlands of No Where? The husband experienced rapid withdrawal symptoms and somehow, somewhere found an antenna that actually picks up most of the channels in our area. Most are fuzzy, but two come in relatively well. I don't know what they are. All that seems to be on ALL the time is one of the many variants of CSI or Law and Order. But, fuzzy reception and repetitive shows notwithstanding, it seems to be enough to provide the needed fix for the husband. He's happy. I'm happy. He mentioned that maybe, in the interest of cutting expenses, we should now get rid of our ISP. I began hypeventilating, nearly fainted, and think I may even have convulsed a couple of times. The crisis passed. The ISP stays.

For anyone still reading - or just staring blankly at the screen - I'm going for my MSW (that's a masters in social work). Figure two years of school, followed by two years of supervision toward licensure and then I should be able to go into private practice as an LCSW. After doing grunt work for years on the front lines it will be a welcome change.

So, wish me luck. Gonna go now and finish my loan app. Oh joy of joys.

No comments: