5.19.2005

Calmer Now

Okay. I realize my last post was maaaaybe just a wee tad bit over the top.

Though, in all fairness to ME, I was rather upsturbed, as my boss likes to say. I'm still reasonably disgusted with the way most journalists and apparently all the media giants have rallied 'round Newsweek and have attempted to blame the whole sordid mess somehow on the White House, because - don't you know, according to them EVERYthing is Bush's fault. Or his administration's fault. Of course. (And, if you don't agree, then you must be an ignorant yahoo.) But, I'm no longer frothing at the mouth.

Just imagine, though, juuuust for a moment...

What IF the White House had issued a release stating that allegations had been made that a Koran had been flushed. And, what IF, after making those statements all hell broke loose in Afghanistan and surrounding areas and people were killed as a result. And then, what IF the White House later came out and said, OOPS, we made a mistake and issued that statement before we had done sufficient research to get all our facts straight. WHAT do you imagine the lauded press would be doing?

Takers? Anyone? Okay, I'll hazard a guess and say that they'd be calling for the President's hide. They would be totally ALL over it, blasting him, the White House, the administration, and any other Republican who might have had the tiniest involvement in setting that information out before the public before it had been thoroughly investigated. In fact, I'll even go so far as to guess the press would be asking WHY the White House had even felt a need to air the statement at all, and they would have been saying that the administration should have KNOWN how incendiary such "news" would be in certain parts of the world.

Okay, I'd better stop now because I'm getting myself all worked up again. I feel a bowl of chocolate chip ice cream coming on. It might help me feel better.

No comments: