3.30.2005

The Amazing Felos

Captain Ed is wondering about Geoge Felos' amazing powers here, as reported by Eric Pfeiffer of NRO here. (Update: My apologies for sloppiness. Whiskey, not Capt. Ed, posted the link at CQ)

I briefly heard about Felos' book this morning on the radio. (Glenn Beck, i think???)

I don't know. Doesn't the DSM-IV use almost this exact sort of thing as an example of a clinically significant level of "magical thinking" that may indicate a need for further investigation, treatment, or intervention of some sort?

Now, don't get me wrong. I believe in a whole lot of things that some of you may consider wacky. One of those things is that I believe there is more going on in the universe than what we so far have considered or imagined - things which have never been measured or observed in any scientific way, and may never be. But, asking me to believe Georgie-boy flipped the switch on a jumbo-jet's auto-pilot by the sheer power of his wondering what it might be like to die...that's asking a bit much of me. Now.... if George had been concentrating furiously on the switch, willing it to flip off while chanting a mantra of some sort - okay. Maybe.

Maybe not.

No comments: